In December, in my school’s Key Club we had to participate in doing a craft night for elementary school kids. Before the night, our club broke up into groups to create the different types of crafts. My group was in charge of making 150 craft supplies in order to help the kids make Christmas tree ornaments. We decided to make the tree base ourselves and the let the kids decorate the tree. This was a really cute craft that the kids loved! It was also a fun way for us to earn volunteer hours!
Today, I am going to show you guys how to make that craft for fun or maybe you can do this volunteer project at your school! To make the craft here’s what you need:
- Normal popsicle sticks
- Colorful popsicle sticks
- Hot glue or liquid glue
- Star shaped stickers (we used sparkly stickers)
- Plastic colorful gems or sticker rhinestones (any types of stickers will work just fine)
- Scissors or Utility Knife
Creating the base
- The first step of making the craft is to cut the popsicle sticks in 5 different sizes. It is recommended to have someone 13 and up cut the popsicle sticks. Even though we didn’t, please do this under adult supervision!! In order to make one tree, you will need 6 popsicle sticks, 5 colored and 1 normal. The normal one will be the trunk of the tree. The colored 5 sticks need to be cut to different sizes. With a ruler measure each of the popsicle sticks 1″, 1.5″, 2″, 2.5″, and 3″. It is really helpful to mark it down with a pencil. Make sure you have 5 different sizes. Then cut the popsicle sticks with your utility knife or scissors.
- After you are done cutting, it’s time to glue! If you are using hot glue, make sure you are 13 and up and be careful not to burn your fingers. Otherwise, use liquid glue which is much safer, but takes longer to dry. Glue down the sticks you cut from shortest to longest on your trunk. Make sure to leave some space at the bottom.
- Now, using the strings cut a small piece then make a loop and glue it to the back. You will need hot glue for this.
- Now you can use almost whatever you want to decorate. Our group used small plastic gem and glued them down. This can be done with hot glue or liquid glue. A more efficient way to do this is use stickers. I looked through online and rhinestone stickers look the prettiest and more like Christmas lights. However, this is really up to you!
- Lastly, add the star sticker to the top and you are done!
This is a perfect craft around the holidays and it is something to do when you are bored. But if you are in high school like me, then this could be a good craft night service project you as well as everyone could do! If you have a Key Club at your school then you can talk to the President or the teacher to start up a craft night for elementary school kids. However, you will need to have lots of other craft ideas for the craft night. You can definitely use this holiday craft as your project and earn service hours!!
Have a great winter break everyone and new book reviews are coming soon!! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the volunteer project or the craft.