Homemade play dough is a great rainy day craft to make, especially if you’re with younger children or siblings.
It’s easy, cheap, fun, feels soft and squishy, and is very creative!
What you need:
1 cup of any type of flour (you can even use expired)
1/4 cup of salt (fine grain is better)
1/2 cup of warm tap water
Food coloring of your choice – you can mix colors if you want.
Plenty of paper towels and clean-up supplies.
Bowls and spoons (plastic is better because there is less cleaning needed).
Cream of Tartar (about 2 teaspoons)
Vegetable or coconut oil (about 2 tablespoons)
Pumpkin spice or cinnamon
Any essential oil
Plastic bags (for storage)
Colorful glitter or sand
Cookie cutters or rolling pin
What to do:
1. Lay down paper towels. In the bowl mix dry ingredients (*I suggest just using salt and flour- it’s much easier and will work better with only warm water, while mixing in the oil and tartar works better with boiling water*).
2. For one color, mix food dye into the warm 1/2 cup of water.
For two or more colors- just mix in the water.
Now would be the point to add oil.
4. Start to knead if you can- if the dough is to sticky add more flour.
5. For more than one color, divide the non- sticky dough and add the color by putting a few drops on each dough ball and mix it into the dough by kneading it; you might want to use gloves.
The next steps are for fun and creativity.
6. Add glitter or sand.
7. Add beads.
8. Add pumpkin spice, cinnamon, or essentials for a fun scent.
9. Play! Kids love to play with it, and it helps to have accessories like cookie cutters or rolling pins.
10. Store play dough in storage bags so you can play and have fun all over again!
It’s addictive! Be prepared to make more than one batch so you can experiment with all different smells, colors, and textures.
It’s safe to eat but you really shouldn’t – it’s not good for your digestion so keep an eye on the kids when they are handling it.
Be prepared to clean! Working with little kids is always messy but the flour and dye make it worse.
I hope this recipe works for you! And may you make many fun, happy memories!